Grand Targhee Ski & Snowboard Foundation supports efforts towards fostering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in winter sports. Following the lead of U.S. Ski & Snowboard, IFSA, and Youth Winter Sports. This collaborative effort represents a significant stride towards creating a more inclusive and representative winter sports community.
Our Shared Vision:
Together, we envision a winter sports community that is reflective of the diverse tapestry of humanity, where individuals of all backgrounds and identities feel welcomed, valued, and empowered to participate and excel. We have implemented solutions that reach within our diverse community with events, language translation, and scholarships, along with a Foundation focus on growing funding opportunities for more DEI scholarships.
- Inclusive Access Programs:
- Develop targeted initiatives to increase accessibility to winter sports for underrepresented communities, including providing scholarships, equipment grants, and transportation support.
- Cultivating Inclusive Spaces:
- Implement comprehensive training for coaches, instructors, and staff on inclusive practices, cultural competency, and unconscious bias to ensure welcoming environments for all participants.
- Representation and Visibility:
- Spotlight and celebrate athletes, coaches, and role models from marginalized backgrounds, promoting a more diverse and representative image of winter sports at all levels.
- Community Engagement:
- Actively engage with local communities to understand their unique needs and preferences, ensuring that programs and facilities are tailored to be inclusive and accessible.
- Mentorship and Leadership Development:
- Establish mentorship programs to foster the growth and development of emerging talents from underrepresented backgrounds, creating a pipeline for future leaders in winter sports.
- Data-Driven Approach:
- Utilize data collection and analysis to continuously evaluate the impact of our DEI initiatives and refine strategies for maximum effectiveness.
- Increase in participation rates from underrepresented groups.
- Achieve a more inclusive representation in diverse leadership roles.
- Nurture a diverse community rooted in mutual understanding and respect.
- Educate constituents about the importance of a diverse community.
- Support innovation in approaches to enhance access and retention of underrepresented groups.
- Establish partnerships with local organizations and communities to promote DEI efforts in winter sports.
Together, We Can Make a Difference:
We believe that by uniting our resources, expertise, and passion for winter sports, we have the power to effect meaningful change. Together, we can inspire a new generation of athletes, coaches, and enthusiasts who embody the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Grand Targhee Ski & Snowboard Foundation also looks to the work of the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee, which was founded in 2017 to increase racial, ethnic, gender, and socioeconomic diversity at all levels of skiing and snowboarding through the following activities:
- Conducting research to identify needs and/or areas of concern
- Addressing policies and practices affecting DEI
- Procuring buy-in and support from all levels of the organization, internally as well as within our membership community
- Implementing and communicating DEI initiatives
- Measuring and disseminating DEI outcomes
- Reviewing and adjusting on an ongoing basis
The DEI Committee is currently engaged in:
- A thorough self-assessment of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as it applies to our people, policies and practices
- Increasing education and awareness for our stakeholders and constituents on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion challenges and opportunities
- Working closely with industry partners to implement initiatives and programs that will increase participation among underrepresented populations
Committee Members: Committee members serve voluntarily and include U.S. Ski & Snowboard staff, leadership, and Board members as well as community members
U. S. Ski & Snowboard Staff
- Ellen Adams
- Lindsay Arnold
- Sheryl Barnes
- Sophie Goldschmidt
- Anouk Patty
- Alison Pitt
- Jeff Weinman
Board and Trustees
- Donna Carpenter
- Sydney Johnson McNiff
- Kipp Nelson
- Henri Rivers
- Steve Strandberg
- Mike Mallon
- Justin Samuels
- Lauren Samuels
For more information, please contact: